Russell Brand to fight half-million-dollar lawsuit
IANS [ Wed, May 1, 2013 ]
- Los Angeles, May 1 (IANS) Russell Brand will reportedly head to a court later this month to fight a half-a-million-dollar lawsuit after a security guard said the actor-comedian almost ran him over.
Victor Sneed, a security guard, has alleged that Brand almost ran his Range Rover over him here last January.
Brand, 37, could be ordered to pay 120,000 pounds (over $180,000) to Sneed, who claims he suffered multiple injuries.
If Brand loses, legal fees could triple the sum to 360,000 pounds, thesun.co.uk reports.
The plaza patrolman said his hand, arm, hip and neck injuries have left him unable to work.
Sneed put his medical expenses at 24,000 pounds and he wants another 100,000 pounds at least for future surgery.
Brand denied causing the injuries outside a chemist's shop in January last year.
He claimed Sneed was the "cause of the accident and any injuries he sustained".
Lawyers will spend the next year gathering evidence.
Brand, who finally passed his driving test in Los Angeles, once admitted he failed to get his licence in the Britain because he tried to learn while high on drink and drugs.
He got a traffic ticket from a US cop last month for turning the wrong way out of a car park.