Kambakkht Ishq Hindi Movie Review
After two debacles this year (Chandni Chowk To China and 8x10 Tasveer) Akshay Kumar returns to the big screen with Kambakkht Ishq. Kareena Kapoor is his female lead with Amrita Arora and Aftab Shivdhasani in supporting roles. 3 Hollywood bigwigs make their Bollywood debut, the legendary Sylvester Stallone, Brandon 'superman' Routh and the sexy Denise 'wild things' Richards.
Its an Akshay Kumar film, the expectations are low.. it would be foolish to go in expecting quality, rather the public is adviced well in advance to leave their brains back home or the parking lots, doesn't matter as long as you dont wear the thinking cap in a comedy starring Kumar.
Viraj Shergill (Akshay Kumar) is a stuntman in Hollywood who lives by the mantra "women are only good for two things... making love and making love". Simrita Rai (Kareena Kapoor) is a doctor who doesn't believe in love. So what happens when the two people who hate each other the most meet at Simrita's best friend Kamini's and Viraj's brother Lucky's wedding? a wedding that both Viraj and Simrita are violently opposed to and desperate to stop.....
Its male vs female, the battle of the sexes. Easy to predict, isn't it? The two do fall in love and eventually get married. There is also a love triangle involving Denise Richards
I know questions are not to be asked from Akshay Kumar film, but just can't help but ask these.
1) No sex for two months, for the man to prove his love.. Do couples like Amrita and Aftab exist? She being a model and he being a stuntman..! Why does she trust her friend more than her husband?
2) Would Sylvester Stallone walk on street, mouth the title of the film and bash goons who fail to recognise him?
3) Would a doctor, performing her first surgery, wear a loose wrist watch that would eventually end up settling deep inside the patients abdomen?
4) From when did watches start sounding so loud? So loud that the entire audience gathered for the awards ceremony could hear it...
5) A Hollywood leading lady desperate to marry an arrogant stuntman..!
All this and many more utterly pathetic sequences is what this painfully torturous film is made of. So is it high on entertainment? Nope, just a couple of laugh worthy sms jokes, that's about it.
Akshay Kumar tries hard, his comic timing is good but is terribly let down by poor direction and the script. Kareena Kapoor looks super hot and does a decent job at acting. Aftab Shivdasani was good. Amrita Arora's skin show is great, cant expect more, she's always been a non-actor. What was Javed Jaffrey doing in the film? Kiron Kher is poor in her millionth loud role.
To sum up, Kambakkht Ishq is one film that might rake in the moolah at the box-office but is a film that shouldn't have been made. How I wish all the money wasted on this trash, was actually spent on hiring some good writers.