'36 China Town' crowned number one movie this weekMay 29, 2006 IANS
Mumbai, May 29 (IANS) Critics panned Abbas-Mustan's recently released thriller "36 China Town" starring Akshaye Khanna, Shahid Kapur and Kareena Kapoor. Surprisingly, the film is doing well at the box office and enjoying the number one position this week.
The top 10 Hindi movies this week are:
1. "36 China Town"; Director: Abbas-Mustan - Akshaye Khanna is the only saving grace in the murder mystery interspersed with comedy.
2. "Gangster - A Love Story"; Director: Anurag Basu - In an era of violent films, this one stands out because no shot is fired despite the fact that it revolves around a don and his girlfriend who are trying to dodge the police.
3. "Tom Dick & Harry"; Director: Deepak Tijori - Anuj Sawhney and Kim Sharma's characters are likeable in this mindless film about three physically impaired friends.
4. "Ankahee"; Director: Vikram Bhatt - Reminiscent of Mahesh Bhatt's "Arth", the film fails to impress but Esha Deol stands out in the role of the "other" woman.
5. "Tathastu"; Director: Anubhav Sinha - Sanjay Dutt tries his best to keep the film alive but fails.
6. "Rang De Basanti"; Director: Rakeysh Mehra - One of the biggest hits of the year, the film is going strong even after months of its release.
7. "Aparichit - The Stranger"; Director: Shankar - The Hindi version of the super hit Tamil film "Anniyan" has failed to lure the audience.
8. "Pyare Mohan"; Director: Indra Kumar - The director has failed to place the jokes in the right places as a result of which the film falls flat on ticket windows.
9. "Humko Deewana Kar Gaye"; Director: Raj Kanwar - The triangular love story starring Akshay Kumar, Bipasha Basu and Katrina Kaif has found a foothold on the list this week.
10. "The Mistress Of Spices"; Director: Paul Mayeda Berges - Weak script, loose direction and a poor performance by lead actress Aishwarya Rai has turned it into a box office fiasco.
Click the Movie button below for more info:
36 China Town