Mammootty's comic role puts 'Rajamanickam' on topNov 18, 2005 Paresh C. Palicha
Kochi, Nov 18 (IANS) Ramzan releases - Mammootty's Rajamanickam and the Santosh Sivan directed "Ananthabhadram" - are in the limelight with the euphoria created during Onam continuing at the box office.
The top five Malayalam films are:
1. "Rajamanickam": Mammootty in a comic role was considered a rarity, but recently young filmmakers have tried to explore this aspect of the star's repertoire. Debutant director Anwar Rasheed is the latest to join the league.
2. "Ananthabhadram": This is Santosh Sivan's first Malayalam movie and gives an elusive hit to young actor Prithviraj. It remains to be seen whether Prithviraj delivers in future or not.
3. "Chaandupottu": Director Lal Jose has regained confidence in his craft with the success of "Chaandupottu". For his next film he has cast comedian Salim Kumar in the main lead.
4. "Mayookham": Veteran director Hariharan returns after a long hiatus with a socially relevant film starring newcomers. Response to this film will be crucial to predict the fate of meaningful cinema in the near future.
5. "Sarkar Dada": This Jayaram starrer, directed by Sasi Sankar, was gathering dust in the cans for various reasons. It hit the theatres hoping to cash in on the festive mood and did well.
Click the Movie button below for more info: