'Chandramukhi' was top grosser in 2005Jan 15, 2006 Aparna Nath
Chennai, Jan 15 (IANS) 2005 was profitable for Tamil films as they more or less hit the century mark as far as the number of releases goes and the industry, one of the biggest in the southern states, is hoping to do better this year.
Commercially also it was a satisfying year with many films doing exceedingly well at the box office. Big stars like Rajnikanth tasted huge success after several years, bringing back the old days of glory and adulation.
A host of new films are awaited in 2006, especially the Pongal promises, but the last year's releases are still afresh in audiences' mind.
The top five films of 2005 were:
1. "Chandramukhi": This Rajnikanth starrer was the biggest hit of 2005.
2. "Anniyan": If "Chandramukhi" was a mega hit, "Anniyan" was a hit. Director Shankar continues his dream run and the ever-popular actor Vikram has given one of his best performances in it.
3. "Ghajini": Like "Anniyan", "Ghajini" can be described as a blockbuster too but it was not as big a hit as "Anniyan".
4. "Thirupachi": Unlike Vikram or Surya, Vijay only had one hit in 2005, and that is "Thirupachi".
5. "Arindum Ariyamalum": It was a surprise hit with an unknown young man as the hero. But after the film's success, Arya, the hero, became heartthrob of teenage girls.
Click the Movie button below for more info: