Ajith's 'Varalaru' gets great openingOct 31, 2006 Aparna Nath
The top five Tamil films are:
1. "Varalaru" - Director: K.S. Ravi Kumar. No other actor except Rajnikanth gets the kind of opening that Ajith receives for his films. "Varalaru" got 100 percent opening. It's good news for Ajith that all those who watched it are happy with the film and are raving about his performance. The film is on its way to becoming a big hit.
2. "Vallavan" - Director: Silambarsan. Expectations were high from the film, which was in the making for over a year. It got an excellent opening, too, but started sliding after the second day. "Vallavan" can be termed as the biggest disappointment among all the Diwali releases.
3. "E" - Director: S.P.Jhananathan. Jhananathan is the National Award-winning director of "Iyarkai". "E" is different from the usual mainstream films though he has tried to include some commercial elements to make it appealing. The success of "E" can be a matter of pride for the director and the producer. Of course, credit goes to Jeeva too for delivering a mind-blowing performance.
4. "Vattaram" - Director: Saran. Another disappointing Diwali fare. This is going to be Saran's second disaster after "Idhaya Thirudan".
5. "Dharmapuri" - Director: Perarasu. This Vijayakanth film may not appeal to the urban audience but there is a huge population out there in the B and C centres who will lap it up. "Dharmapuri" appears to be a propaganda film for Vijayakanth and his political party.
More Info: Varalaru